Sunday, March 23, 2014

Green Beauty: my fave products for clear, glowing spring skin!


I love the spring. It's here guys! I know, in some places...it still feels like the dead of winter. But winter will end! Sometime! For me, springtime means freshness, newness, and bright, glowing skin. My first tool for beautiful, healthy skin is in my kitchen - food! Without it, it's difficult to achieve optimal skin health unless you inherited some pretty awesome genes.

Yet, even with the nutrition aspect in line, our skin can still need a little extra help. Because, I mean, whose doesn't? That's where a great skin routine comes in. Check out my skincare morning and night routine posts here! I apply skin clearing treatments to my skin in the morning and at night, but sometimes it requires an even stronger product. Today, I wanted to talk about my favourite "treatment," products for maintaining clear skin and combatting blemishes.

There are a lot of staples I incorporate into my routine on a daily basis to keep my skin clear like honey and clay. I highlight recommend adopting honey (especially Manuka) if you're having acne issues. Also check out resources like The Love Vitamin and Clear Skin Forever. They have great tips on keeping skin clear naturally.

1. Skin Clearing Serums



Blissoma Solutions Smooth A+ Perfecting Serum - I've raved about this before, and I'll do it again. Even nomoredirtylooks has jumped on the bandwagon and recently posted about the awesomeness of this product. It smells delicious, it's gentle, and it works at keeping skin smooth, clear, and fading old scars. I apply it every other night and absolutely love it.



ISUN Clarifying Serum - I absolutely love this stuff! I'd been using the Dr. Alkaitis Soothing Gel for years, but heard about this product with more "active" ingredients from a nomoredirtylooks morning routine and had to give it a go. I'm so glad I did. At first, I wasn't sure this did anything, but I stuck with it and magic happened. I truly believe it contributes to keeping my skin happy. It has a ton of active essential oils as you can see, but it isn't harsh or drying for my skin. And no tea tree! My skin really dislikes tea tree oil for some strange reason as it's a godsend for so many other people. If your skin dislikes tea tree, but you suffer from breakouts you've got to try this! It is so so so great. Or, just try it in general if you haven't found that "miracle" breakout buster product. I want to try their clarifying mask next!

2. Spot Treatments


Indigo Wild Zum Rub in Frankincense & Myrrh - Coconut oil? Beeswax? Two things I continually read to avoid if you have breakout prone skin? How, can this stuff work? Especially for me, the girl who can't oil cleanse or even using jojoba oil without a breakout. I was the biggest of skeptics when I read Kimberly Loc rave about this spot treatment. Here's the link to her review. During a particularly rough skin patch, however, I was willing to try anything. This rub is cheap, it's available at Whole Foods, and by some freakish force of nature it actually works. And since it's chock full of moisturizing ingredients, it doesn't irritate/leave the area dry, red, or chapped while still zapping the blemish. I am still baffled as to the efficacy of this stuff. I think the product works by quickly bringing the breakout to the surface and speeding up its life cycle. All I know is I love it.

Indie Lee Blemish Lotion - This is a relatively new purchase for me, but I'm so impressed by it. It's reminiscent of other, dirty spot treatments, and it smells like rotten eggs thanks to the sulfur. This is something you use overnight as a spot treatment. It was my birthday this past week, and I've been indulging in atypical (albeit delicious) food. My skin is showing the effects. It's so sensitive! It immediately reflects everything going on in my body. Oh well, I guess I just have a very finely tuned "alarm," system. Anyways, I had a couple stubborn breakouts that I wanted to quash before I start my second student teaching placement tomorrow, and this has been my spot treatment of choice. It's so great! It shrinks the blemish (almost disappeared) and reduces inflammation and redness. It does exactly what I wanted/expected it to do. I highly recommend trying it if you're too frightened by the coconut oil and beeswax in the zum rub, or if you want a really fabulous spot treatment. It feels like something conventional, but it's clean. 

Hope you guys enjoyed this post! I feel like I've managed to compile a list of truly effective products. After going natural, I struggled for a long time finding a skincare routine that worked harmoniously with my body. There were years of trial and error and many dollars spent. I feel confident recommending these products to all of you. I hope you can end your search here if you are in the same boat that I once was. Yet remember, you can have all the products in the world, but they won't make a true difference unless you change your diet/lifestyle. Fill your meals with whole foods and lots of vegetables and fruits! Kicking dairy (except for some grassfed yogurt), added sugar, gluten, and vegetable oils to the curb drastically improved the clarity of my skin. In the first picture, you can see a big 'ole stack of books - I highly recommend the one of top, the newly released Eat Pretty by Jolene Hart. Another great starting point to tailoring your diet to best meet the needs of your skin. 

I wish spring upon all of my readers! Get some sunshine and get glowin' :) Have you tried any of these products? What are your HGs for achieving the elusive clear skin?

10 comments:

  1. Super nice post! Unfortunately the Indie Lee Blemish Lotion wasn't my favorite, but I'm looking forward to trying out all of these other products!

    http://amber-allnaturallybeautiful.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's too bad! Was is the smell? I find that it can linger...

      Delete
  2. The ISUN Clarifying Serum was one of the first natural products I tried (a long with Living Libations) when I went completely green. I still rave how it helped to heal some of my deepest and oldest acne scars. It's an amazing product! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I absolutely LOVE it. Living libations looks like an amazing brand. What are some of your fave products from them?

      Delete
  3. Great post miss! always useful to have one of this beauty serums/treatments so thanks for the great list! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It's good to feel I've finally found my go-to "treatment" products that consistently work :) Thanks!

      Delete
  4. I've never heard of ISUN but sounds like it's working wonders for you! I really need to get my hand on a sample of the Smooth a+! I've found that May Lindstrom the youth dew is excellent at keeping my hormonal spots at bay, though it is very expensive. I've recently started taking maca powder and *i think* it is helping to prevent spots too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard some good things about maca powder too, but I've never looked into it. The ISUN product is awesome and not super, duper expensive. The youth dew is the only May product I've never tried! You have swayed me...and I'm about to repurchase my smooth A+ :) it's great and also affordable.

      Delete
  5. Great post! I still haven't bought that Zum Rub, I want to try it ever since Kimberly wrote about it :) Will have to order it soon! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems so counterintuitive to me, but it's my all-time favourite spot buster. It's super cheap and lasts forever too! Thanks :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...