Monday, March 17, 2014

Green Health: DIY toothpaste "earthpaste"


Happy St. Patrick's Day! It's one of my favourite holidays. Not only is it near my birthday, but it's all about my favourite colour! I hope you're all sporting your green gear today ;)

This easy DIY toothpaste tastes just like bubblegum. Yum. And there's no sugar, fluoride, soap, or any other undesired ingredient. I was using a DIY toothpaste made with baking soda for the longest, but recent articles about oral hygiene made me want to veer in the clay route in lieu of baking soda. I've heard baking soda can be too abrasive on teeth. In addition, I've read a lot of raves about Earthpaste from a myriad of bloggers, but also that it runs out quickly and is relatively expensive. This recipe popped up on my Facebook feed and voila. I ordered the ingredients I didn't have on hand (bentonite clay fit for human consumption and the doTerra oil) and whipped this up in under ten minutes. I have ample ingredients left to create several more batches :)

I used this DIY Remineralizing Toothpaste recipe from the The Paleo Mama blog. Check out her post for more in-depth instructions. I had to substitute liquid stevia for the actual plant. I drew the line at having to go out and purchase a stevia plant when I had plenty of the stuff in a different form at home.

Ingredients:


1/3 cup bentonite clay
1/4 cup boiling water
1 T melted coconut oil
1/4 t real salt
1/4 t liquid stevia
15 drops doTerra OnGuard essential oil
10 drops (I did 1/4 t) peppermint oil (the food grade kind)

Step 1: Boil water in a kettle. While it's boiling, combine your clay and melted coconut oil. Then add the boiled water. I had to add more than 1/4 cup to get the mixture more viscous and not quite so crumbly. I also didn't mix it with an immersion blender, but used a fork. Because I'm lazy like that. I still think I achieved adequate mixture of the ingredients. The mixture is really quite thick as you can see. A true "paste."


Behold me testing out the texture warily...

Step 2: Add the rest of the ingredients! I dissolved the salt with a bit more boiling water, added the 1/4 t of liquid stevia, and the oils. It made the whole thing slightly more viscous and smelled delicious. You can still see how paste-like it is. It's great at adhering to a toothbrush!


The finished product tastes like cinnamon, stevia, and mint or alternatively like bubblegum to my tastebuds. The texture is far less grainy/abrasive than my other DIY which I really like. It also leaves my mouth feeling slick and clean which is pretty important for a toothpaste. It has far less of an aftertaste than the other DIY too! I've never tried earthpaste, so I cannot comment on how this compares, but I definitely like it. Redmund is the brand of the clay I used, and incidentally the brand that makes earthpaste. It's super easy and good for you! Plus, I just love DIY-ing in general, and I've been meaning to try this one forever.

Alright, now to prepare myself for a night filled with St. Patrick's Day debauchery. Have you guys tried Earthpaste? Are you interested in this DIY?

13 comments:

  1. What a great DIY! While I'm not the biggest fan of Earthpaste, I still like it because of its ingredients. I wouldn't mind trying this DIY. How long does it keep for once you've mixed in all the ingredients?

    Great blog! Following you on bloglovin' and google!
    http://amber-allnaturallybeautiful.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Amber! Really appreciate your comment. Going to check out your blog after this ;) As far as expiration date for this...I'm not exactly sure. Technically nothing is perishable so...I'll probably keep using it until it seems iffy. I don't know if I could recommend this approach though lol

      Delete
  2. Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. I have never heard of doTerra OnGuard essential oil before - will be googling that one x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I hadn't either until coming across this recipe. Now, I've seen them popping up in two of my most favourite blogs. They seem very reliable, and I like the product a lot so far. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Jana!!! Hope you get a chance to try it :)

      Delete
  4. Wow! Awesome DIY - this looks so much like the real thing! But how do you store it? And how long would this last?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just stored it in a small mason jar. Like I mentioned above, since nothing is perishable I plan to keep this around until I finish it up, or until it starts to seem...off. Hope that helps!

      Delete
  5. TOOTHPASTE! Oh, it must be good to make my own safe toothpaste at home. <3
    Thank you for sharing the recipe. I don't know how to get these ingredients easily in my country, but I want to try to make one mixture, someday. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got most of the ingredients on amazon! They were all pretty cheap. It is fun to make this type of stuff at home! Thank you for your comment :)

      Delete
  6. I've been wanting to try and make my own Earthpaste lately, I'll have to give your recipe a try! Thanks for sharing. ( :
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ashley!! Yes, it was super easy, and I'm really enjoying it. Especially the doTerra oils. I saw them in your flu bomb recipe too and knew they were trustworthy! They are really great. Thanks for your comment :)

      Delete
  7. Hi Stephanie! I have already commented on here, but will do so again, because -
    I have nominated you for the Liebster Award! You have probably been nominated before, but I just want to inform you of my nomination because I think your blog is awesome!

    See my post about the Liebster Award here: http://goo.gl/mTf7Fj

    Love,
    Tiff
    https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11926917

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...